Old 08-22-2011, 10:49 AM
galaxy flyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

Jim,

First, speak with a unit recruiter, lay out your goals, how you would like to achieve them, emphasize your commitment to serve in the military. Usually, the recruiter can, and will be willing to, arrange an informal visit with the flying squadron commander or ops officer. Come prepared, dressed smartly with a resume. Again establish your desire and commitment. Then follow up with the recruiter. Each unit will have only one or two slots per year, so standing out as being a potential officer and pilot is important-look professional and learn about the unit and it's mission. Be able to show willingness and ability to learn--AF UPT isn't that difficult, but being able to absorb a lot in a limited time is tough.

Recruiters, in my experience, don't get much reward by getting a UPT candidate selected, but they look at as a professional "feather in their cap". They are graded on meeting recruiting goals and successful entries, not one UPT guy. Help them out--study for the written entrance exam, be ready and cooperative about getting the physical done, having a Class 1 helps but isn't a guarantee. Color vision tests have been a leading failure area, you might see a civilian eye doc.

As I said, go to several units, if geographically feasible. You don't have to tell each unit you have been looking elsewhere, either, at first anyway. Once you have visited a couple, got a feel for the unit, the process and where you want to go, THEN, focus on that unit. Stay in touch with the unit, the recruiter, be a friendly nuisance even.

Part of this is what mission do you want to fly--fighters, tankers, airlift, etc. that might give you a start on where to go. Units vary, too. Some don't want to have many LTs out of UPT, some don't care. Some want in-state members only, some do not care. Some want you to enlist, some don't care. I took guys, in unit, outside, in state and not, a guy with B747 freighter time who wanted to give his service back to his adopted country, enough loadmasters to have one in each seat.

All this is what I did many years ago, was selected in an historic downtime for UPT slots--post-Vietnam. I saw and selected many guys and gals the same way. One came from Texas to the Northeast because he couldn't get anywhere with units there. Promised he would stay, that he deserved a chance yada yada. He kept at it until myself and the chief pilot said, let's give the chance. Graduated ATC Commander's Trophy and held to his promise becoming an IP in 5 years in unit.

WRT USCG, not sure about which is more competitive, there are more pilots in the combined ANG-AFR though. For active duty, the CG is more competitive due to its size and attractive mission.

GF