View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 08:09 AM
ryane946
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: FO, looking left

Two VERY important things:

Number 1. I soloed at 26 hours. I got my private at 49 hours. Part 61. Used the Jepppesen Syllabus. I flew out of a towered airport (and they take longer than an uncontrolled field). I was in no hurry to solo. I just wanted to become the best pilot I could. Remember, once you solo, all you need is some night practice, two cross countries with your instructor, 10 hours of solo (most of this will be PIC XC), and then checkride prep. This is probably 25 hours. (about 13 of XC, 5 of night/instrument, 3 of random VOR/ADF/unusual attitudes, 5 hours of checkride prep).

As far as I am concerned, you could finish your private with 50-55 hours (AND THAT IS GOOD!!!) If you want to be an airline pilot someday, you are going to need all that time anyway. Don't stress if you go 10 hours over what you thought it would take you. REMEMBER, the national average is between 60hours and 70 hours.

Number 2. You already know this, but change your instructor. Now. Not a week from now. Not next time you go to the airport. RIGHT NOW. Call him up and tell him you want to change instructors. It is not a big deal. I had 3 different instructors for my private. Not because I wanted to get rid of them. I started flying up through solo in Colorado. Then I moved to California and did a few hours at an FBO, then found an AWESOME flying club across the field and changed yet again. They were all good instructors. They are all teaching for the same test. Each one did a few things differently, but it was not a big deal. I say switching between 3 different instructors maybe cost me 1 or 2 hours. NO BIG DEAL! Do not let your current flight instructor continue to milk you.