Thread: NJA vs FDX
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 AM
frozenboxhauler
Nice lookin' tree, there!

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: MD-11, old man

Originally Posted by charleyvarrick View Post
I'm a 10-year NJA CA trying to evaluate the pros/cons of leaving NJA for FDX.

37 years old
Nja base wage is 119k (increase by 3.5% each year)
3 weeks vacation, earn my 4th week next year.
Live in the midwest, but contemplating moving back to SoCal--something easy to consider at NJA, but a big QOL factor at FDX.

Obviously, the coin is much better once you upgrade at Fedex. But I WAG'd the numbers, assuming 10 years as a widebody FO then upgrade, and was surprised that it took the upgrade to recoup the loss in pay. I just used straight guarantee, a complete WAG (and best case as a widebody FO).

The NJA flying is something I enjoy, but all the BS that goes with it gets old, and I miss the days of turning left and only worrying about flying the plane. But 10 years is a lot of seniority to give up, so I feel as though I'm wearing golden handcuffs.

I also have a family (3 kids) and the prospect of HKG or CGN concerns me financially.

Clearly FDX is the stronger, more stable company, as NJA's future at this point seems foggy at best. But I am surprised that this doesn't seem as much of a no-brainer as I thought it would be.

I do realize this is purely academic without an offer on the table.

Thoughts, comments, perspectives?
As a wide body F/O, you should make up the pay by year 2 or 3. Good luck with your decision, there's more to life than just money.
fbh