View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Typhoonpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: tri current

All good advice so far.

Emirates is hiring pilots with 2500 hours in B737 or A320 aircraft. Those are younger guys who went the ab-initio route in Europe with airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet. Their total time is around 2700-2800 hours on joining.

That said, as a young guy in the USA you would probably have a much better chance at a good career in the USA than you would at Emirates. Emirates can be good for 10-15 years, but it's not something you realy want to make a long term career of. The majority of pilots who came to Emirates are from airlines that went out of business or downsized considerably. Emirates was never their first choice as a career destination, it was a fallback plan.

A lot of the negative sentiment you see on PPrune comes from the European version of SJS pilots. Guys who "hated" flying European domestic in small ( B737 or A320 ) jets. Guys who had to have a "command" on a wide body. They left relatively good jobs in their home country to chase after utopia. Now they regret that decision.

To be honest, I was perfectly content flying up and down the east coast in a 737 for a reasonable pay check. Lived in my own house in my own country and had a good life. I only came to Emirates because I saw the hand writing on the wall post 9-11. It's been a very good move for me, but it was never my career goal or first choice. I would much rather be working for a good major in the States.

Typhoonpilot