View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 12:32 AM
duvie
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: WB Bunkie

Originally Posted by HAL39 View Post
Seems like a good business plan...in theory.

I've been amazed by how many pax are willing to pay $150 for an upgrade at the counter on a 30-minute flight from MSP-MSN. Seems nuts to me...but then again my cash reserves are pretty trim. 3 class makes sense, especially in the so-cal market, where most people have a little extra $$$

What will probably kill this project is operating E170's out of a 4,900' runway at a southern latitude. There's no way a 170 could get out of this place when it's 100F, no wind, full pax. Even if they used flaps 4, TO-1, No Flex, ECS REF OFF, its still VERY sketchy at best. Even if this were approved by the FAA, they would be weight restricted on most summer flights out of there. + Imagine all the overruns they would have on landing into CRQ, the 170 does have a tendency to float, esp when its light.

Tho, I wouldnt mind getting a west coast base again, would be niiiiiice
As you probably know, coastal SoCal (CLD in this case) is very rarely above 32 C, and more often 25 mid summer. Furthermore, Max takeoff weights vary depending on how much you pay the manufacturer. It isn't a hard and fast number... a lot of aircraft "performance" is contingent on what package you buy...