View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 06:39 AM
HAL39
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: 21°00'18.5"N 156°39'00.0"W

Originally Posted by duvie View Post
As you probably know, coastal SoCal (CLD in this case) is very rarely above 32 C, and more often 25 mid summer. Furthermore, Max takeoff weights vary depending on how much you pay the manufacturer. It isn't a hard and fast number... a lot of aircraft "performance" is contingent on what package you buy...
On average, you're right it doesn't get that hot. I'm referring to the days here and there where it does get that hot. Doesn't make a difference if they get the standard, LR, or AR model of the 170, they're bound to have weight issues out of CRQ

Even during the winter, when temp is a non-issue, the E170 will have a heckuva time getting out of a 4,900' runway. I've done MDW several times in our 170's, even with cooler temps (<20C), we needed TO-1, No Flex, ECS OFF, Flaps 4, with enuf gas to get to MSP + 3000 lb rsv and 76 pax. We rotated in the far-end touchdown zone of a 6,500' runway.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just a bit skeptical. I know the 170 is a runway hog, esp compared to other jets in the 70-80 seat market

Still, if they could find a way to make it work...might be kinda sweet.......if the airline doesn't go TU in the first year