Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 AM
HercDriver130
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 744 CA

I think there needs to be MORE stall training, and NOT just training to recognize and immediately recover.... I think in the sim they need to let stall fully develop and let the pilots see just how bad it can be. I was surprised when my current employer did HIGH altitude stall training/demo where we allowed the jet at FL350 to fully stall and then recover.... pretty eye opening to see how many THOUSANDS of feet it took to fly it out. I am also an advocate of spin training, having come from a AF background we spun the ever living crap out of the T-37 every which way but loose. Beyond the fact that it teaches you the mechanics of a stall recovery in THAT aircraft much more valuable is that it teaches you NOT to panic when you are out of control and that with proper technique situations which may seem unrecoverable are probably recoverable. The ability to keep your head when you get in those situations and perform a recovery and or use good flying skills to recover is the cornerstone of a confident pilot. A bit more hand flying in and out of the terminal environment wouldnt hurt either. At the at least the commercial pilot level and certainly the ATP level verifiable spin and stall training needs to be part of the required training. Hell, when i started flying in 1978 we spun C150s before solo.... I am pretty sure that doesnt happen today.