Old 08-30-2011, 10:18 AM
nwaf16dude
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: 737A

Originally Posted by captainv View Post
I was jumpseating on a DAL 757 last week and I noticed that the ACARS spit out a report criticizing the rotation rates on takeoff/landing, which the PF read, shrugged and tossed in the trash.

That could cut both ways - you know immediately if you're off the standards instead of waiting for a line check or the sim, but especially if it gets reported to the brain trust, that level of scrutiny would get most of us to engage the autopilot as much as possible.

We started using FOQA recently and Safety has found plenty of issues to tackle, but I can see where micromanaging would push us toward using more automation, not less.
On jets that are equipped with the ACMS (aircraft monitoring system) that report prints out after every takeoff and landing, so it's not something that only prints out if you've screwed up. It was only on the fNWA -300s because of tail strike potential, but it's slowly starting to show up other 757s as well. So, when it prints out, you read it, make a mental note and as long as you didn't hit the tail, you throw it in the trash. No big deal.