View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Bucking Bar
Can't abide NAI

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Douglas Aerospace post production Flight Test & Work Around Engineering bulletin dissembler

Originally Posted by Check Essential View Post
I don't know, acl.

Maybe those of us already at the mainline are better off in the long run if we facilitate outsourcing of small gauge flying and just allow the company to continue the bidding wars and whipsaw tactics at DCI.
If RJ pilots want to work for minimum wage, doesn't that subsidize our pay rates?
Isn't it better for us if Delta is more profitable?
Check,
  • Delta's profitability does not directly benefit us. It only benefits us if we do Delta's flying. We desire Delta to be profitable, but it is more important to us that we do the flying.
  • It is questionable whether Delta's outsourcing has done Delta any good. I believe a compelling case can be made that Delta's 30 billion dollar RJ effort has been a miserable failure. If the money was in RJ's, Comair would be worth a fortune.
  • Whipsaw can not be isolated to just "regional" carriers. Look at NWA's pre merger DC-9 rates and our own small jet rates. Our MD88's are in direct competition with CRJ and ERJ Types for route allocation.
  • Scope is far from being just a junior issue. You're right at the spot where anything from E170's flying to UIO to an change in the SkyTeam agreement could effect you.
Most importantly, how much flying can we give up and still be relevant at the bargaining table? 20%, 50%, 70%?

If I went in to the C.P.'s office with a list of demands, I would be laughed at and fired. If YOU, I and the APC Board participants went to the C.P. with the same list, we'd be listened to, there would be some discussions, then we'd be fired. If every Delta pilot set the parking brake until the demands were met, the demands would be complied with nearly instantly.

You know that is how a union works (so, my soapbox isn't aimed at you, but the rest of the readers). As unity erodes, so does our power.

So I ask, which union will get you more off what you want?
  1. You by yourself
  2. You and me and a couple of dozen others
  3. 20% of Delta's pilots
  4. 50% of Delta's pilots
  5. ALPA, the exclusive bargaining agent for 100% of Delta's pilots
I've no problem with what you have written, in fact your candor is appreciated. From you, your opinion is completely acceptable. My union is held to a different standard. They've got a job to do and unity is at the core of their responsibility.

Last edited by Bucking Bar; 08-30-2011 at 10:54 AM.