Old 08-31-2011, 04:10 AM
DeadHead
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008

Originally Posted by FlyJSH View Post
They are getting to that point. Rear view cameras, "there is someone in the lane you are moving to", anti lock breaking systems, auto "turn the headlights on" systems, and all the other crap that compensates for idiots who can't drive are filling the market.

Truth is, all of those things, like autopilot, would help a talented operator reduce accidents to near zero. Unfortunately, the assistant has become a crutch.

'It's not my fault I hit that kid, my anti-kid-smooshing device didn't protect me." Forget about the fact that I can't navigate narrow streets, I don't look over my shoulder when I back up, or that I took my driving test in a Mini but now drive a Hummer.

Why doesn't the government do something about that?????
I sometimes wonder why no one pays attention to the falling standards on our roadways. The amount of people who die in automobile accidents pales in comparison to the amount of airline accident casualties. The argument can be made that the amount of deaths has gone down, but that is moreso due to the implementation of new life saving technology in newer model cars. I'd be curious to see the amount of property damage that is caused by vehicle crashes in the U.S. annually.

Not to mention bus and train accidents, which have increased dramatically over the past few years. Nothing seems to be done about that.

Though we have had a few tragic accidents in the past few years, we have for the most part been running one of the smoothest transportation systems in the country for the past 10 years.

No U.S. airline fatalities in 2010 - USATODAY.com

I'm not saying that the reliance on automation doesn't play a part in the degradation of a pilot's flying skills, but I'm personally sick and tired of our profession being a pi$$ing pot for the media, the government, and the general public.