View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 05:58 AM
usmc-sgt
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jun 2006

Originally Posted by RonWeasley View Post
With so many airlines adopting the TMAAT style interview, I have been digging deep into both my Corporate and 121 history in order to produce some good stories. Most of these questions I can format a good answer except:

Q: Tell me about a time when you have flown with a difficult captain.

A: Yes, I have and tolerated it. Even during debrief over a beer this guy would go on about how the aircraft was to be flown IAW the GOM, FOM, FTM, and FAR's...ATP standards. I eventually got it out of him that he had no degree, and that this was some form of displacement. How should this be presented?

Q: Have you ever broke an SOP/FAR to help the company?

A: Actually it was a broken tow bar ar XYZ airport. Although the GOM
reads powerback at XYZ okay with ODM approval, ODM said no. Attempted to procur towbar from carrier with same equipment, was told one hour wait. We called for powerback and departed on sched, never compromising safety. Never heard from ODM.
I would approach number 2 with something that shows you in a positive light. At most airlines it is not SOP to handle customers baggage let alone go above and beyond in regards to baggage. Have you ever had a customer forget a gate check and you ran it to the top of the jetbridge to get it to them? Have you ever gone to the ramp and collected a stroller and brought it up and set it up for a customer? These are some things to consider and are not "gray" areas from breaking rules or FARs. What did it do to benefit the company? An act like this can foster long lasting customer relations with the company and spread word of mouth advertising which has a high value for your company.

Number one does not sit well with me. It comes off as you are better than him because he does not have a degree or that you have a problem because he flies by the book. While I certainly dont think that is the case you have to wonder if the person on the other side of the table may think you could be the problem in this case.

Have you ever had a captain constantly tell you how to fly the airplane every step of the way despite your experience in the airplane? Maybe you could spin it that after landing with the door closed you spoke with the Captain and told him that although you valued his experience and input that you would like to be given the opportunity to develop your own technique providing it is within SOPs etc.

Now, I would HIGHLY advice that if you get a coveted spot to interview at a place you really want to be you spend the money on an interview consultant. If you need a rec I have one for you as it would be money well spent. PM AlbieF15 if you have any in depth questions, he knows his way around these kinds of questions.

Last edited by usmc-sgt; 08-31-2011 at 06:26 AM.