View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Skyone
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: B777 Left

S.I.B., What they want to do with the 380, and what its capabilities are and the infrastructures to support it around the world are horses of a different color.

Sort of like the introduction of the MD11 in the mid 80s. It was sold on one aspect of performance and didn't live up to it for almost ten years. Fuel bladders had to be added to the forward cargo compartment to reach the destinations it was designed to serve with the cargo load promised missing. Reference twelve years later, it does meet its initial selling points. But technology with other aircraft passed it by and its relegated primarily with a few exceptions to cargo around the world.

Could this be the future of the A380? Who knows, but as much as anything, the airports and their infrastructures are very limiting at the present time for the aircraft. With world economy in the present state, what "states" are going to invest huge amounts of money into their airports to support ONE aircraft when others will serve it almost as well. How many gates in the large airports will be given up to support the aircraft to the detriment of other gates and space?

LHR has already put EK on notice to get their on time performance up to par because it cannot hold 380 capable gates open when others are waiting for the few 380 capable gates.

Nice pax a/c and enjoy riding on it myself. Guys flying it seem to like it. But the world is not fully ready for Miss Piggy. Maybe one day and maybe one day the performance promised for the aircraft will come to be realized. Today, it ain't there. You think those in charge would hold it at bay for the ULRs if it were fully capable today. I think not.

So SIB, try not to get so emotionally attached to a piece of machinery. Years ago I learned not to find oneself on new jets and small categories. Your options are limited and companies take years to determine the best use of said equiment. I will hate to see the tears when you move from the rhs on the 380 to upgrade to the 330. How will you handle it?