Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 01:51 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Kramerica View Post
Unless you are in SAPA and know more than the rest of us, I was under the impression that this was initially growth, and then gradually replacing -200 stuff, but not entirely replacement.

Regardless, if jet scope tightens down at the major carriers (seems to be the trend for the future), Skywest needs these Q400s really bad. If pilots want jobs at Skywest, then pilots need the Q400 really bad and they need the rates to be competitive. Take a look at every regional airline in which pilots demanded premium treatment/pay, they are either gone or going. I'm not saying fly the Q's for 200 rates, but we gotta be realistic.
Scope is not going to tighten. I'm reasonably confident that current mainline pilots will not voluntarily give up any more scope, but when it comes right down to it the negotiating cost of getting rid of RJ's is far too high for those guys to pay...they would have to take a pay cut TODAY, and most are not going to do that. Especially the guys in the upper half of the seniority list.

Scope is like a cat in a bag...it's not going back in once it's out.