View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 01:40 AM
gloopy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: window seat

Originally Posted by acl65pilot View Post
A B scale is doing the same work on the same jet for different rates, not what you describe gloopy.
I was referring to the popular opinion that B scales are bad (I agree) so we should avoid them at all costs, including outsourcing (I disagree). I'm against a B scale, but more against outsourcing because that has all the disadvantages of a B scale plus it loses the jobs.

On a strict definition standpoint, we can split hairs all day but the meat and potatos of a B scale are the point here. If we have a separate scale for half our 757's to fly as "Delta Lite" while the rest are regular scale, that's a B scale. Of course. But wouldn't it also be a B scale if we bought 200 large A-321's, which we don't otherwise operate (or a different type, it really doesn't matter) and put all of them at "Delta Lite" if that scale was significantly less than comparable gauge? Clearly the intent as well as the result would be the same, so I think that would be an acceptable use of the definition. C scale? Whatever.

When UAL kept work rules for their widebodies and stripped narrowbody pilots to pure fly to the FAR's, that was nothing short of a B scale in intent and result, despite the obselete by the book definition.

When applied to an entire segment of the airline, while it may not "technically" be a B scale, the dramaticly lower disparity in pay, work rules and benefits that our flying commands when we allow management to shop it to the lowest RFP provider is sickening and in many ways far worse than the true definition of a B scale.

I would argue that we bring that flying back and make the scale for pay and bennifits in line with everything else. However for the sake of arguement if that was not workable, either financially or (more likely) politically, then bringing that flying back on a lower tier system (less than linear mainline pay, worse work rules, lower B fund, higher health care premiums, etc) would be disgusting...but less disgusting than looking the other way while we outsource it for that exact same purpose. Doing so isn't a B scale, I agree...its something far more sinister and dammaging to the profession.

It just amazes me that some can take the moral high ground by saying we should never have a B scale for smaller jet flying, but those same people say its acceptable to outsource it instead. B scales suck, outsourcing is worse. Bringing the flying back on a "B scale" (or whatever you want to call it) is preferable to continuing to outsource half our block hours and pilot jobs. We have to bring that flying back first before we can ever truly and sustainably restore our profession for the long term. If we can do that without a B scale, great. Lets do it. Lets strike over it if necessary. But if we have to account for the distructive cost structure that we signed off on, if a B scale does that its far better than status quo.