View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 05:36 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by JimHalpert View Post
I just got off the phone with the FSDO. After a lengthy time on hold, they say it OK to log SIC time in an aircraft if you are the safety pilot, even if you cannot be PIC due to lack of endorsements as long as you have category and class. I guess that answers my question.
A couple of problems here...

- Local FSDO's are not always right.

- There are many regulatory grey areas, and other FSDOs may not agree with your FSDO. Actually odds are very high they will disagree.

- Employers have their own standards, and may not be familiar with all regulatory fine print. The average airline interviewer would probably NOT accept SIC in a light ASEL under part 91. Thye might not even give you the opportunity to explain, they might just hire someone else. Even if they do discuss it with you, the last thing you want is to be on the defensive, with your integrity (or intelligence) in question arguing some fine point of regulation. Trust Me. If you want to be a career pilot, you need to cater to what the employers are looking for...they are the ones who hire you, not the FAA.

If you really want a definitive answer, you need to write the FAA legal folks in Washington. They will send you a latter addressing your specific question, and such a letter would over-ride any rogue FSDO or local clown inspector.

Actually this question has been answered by FAA legal before (see NoyGonnaDoIt's post), you can search for it on their website.

In your shoes I would get the endorsements and just log it is PIC just to avoid confusion down the line. You'll need those endorsements eventually anyway.