View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 05:37 PM
AAL763
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

UPDATE:

I haven't been on here since 2007. hello!!!

Anyways I have some great news...

To make a long story short....

I have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD my entire life ( for 22 years or so )
Before I went to apply for my medical I joined AOPA to get professional help from their medical team ( not sure what their actual department name is ). They advised me to get all my medical information together and get a private physiological evaluation with the approval of what the FAA wanted in the tests. Once the report was in I would go take my medical. During this period Ive been off any medication for the past 2 years.

I ended up paying around $1k to get a private evaluation and in the end the psychologist sent the report tot he FAA. In addition I sent in a copy of all my medical information relating to my past ADD/ADHD history ( of course my doctor viewed me as not having the diagnosis anymore, while providing that notification to the FAA in the medical records ).

Went to apply for my 1st class.

Waited about half a year. Had to call the FAA and prioritize my review.

In the mail i received my 1st class medical.

Currently, Ive received my private and just recently my instrument rating. Now im in my commercial training based out of San Diego.

My advice is to anyone with this condition... Its vital to be off the medication for a year minimum. Do the private evaluation that the FAA has discussed in some legal papers you can find through the AOPA or other sources. Do well in the evaluation and take your medical. Once everything is in, you will have to wait a long time.

Dont be afraid if you have or had ADD/ADHD. Continue the long process and youll be rewarded in the end.

Yes they automatically deny you if you have ADD/ADHD and you dont take the right steps, but if you show that you can medically prove your fit, you will be alright.

I hope this helps anyone. I would take the time to make this message more "clean" but I just dont have the time. CYA!!!

PS : If a kid who has taken every kind of ADD/ADHD medication out there for most of his youthful life and can now fly professionally as a career. Anyone can do it!
. Do you have a clean medical or an SI.