View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Scoop
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: DAL 330

Originally Posted by slowplay View Post
Really?

Merged Delta was the only legacy airline not to furlough during the last downturn. In fact, Delta hired 305 since the merger. Two early out programs took a fair number of guys off the top, but even with the retirement of two uneconomic fleets there were no furloughs.

That reality conflicts with the perception posted above. Merger setting them back? Ask the bottom 1450 at UAL, the bottom 10% of Alaska, the bottom 1700 at AMR, the 147 at CAL. Heck, even a bunch of the regionals furloughed. That's being set back.

Slow,

All true, but little consolation for a lot of our junior guys. We are stagnating. Guys off the top don't really help guys on the bottom too much if we don't hire and grow.

For example, and I do realize that this is exaggerated, but it makes the point. If the top 25% leave the 2nd quartile is now mostly the top (huge benefit). The third quartile moves up to mostly the 2nd (large benefit) but the bottom 25% are pretty much still the bottom, albeit now reaching up to 33% on the list (marginal to zero benefit).

Granted UAL and AMR are worse but every Pilot hired after about 1999 would be making more if they instead went to Southwest, FDX, Jet Blue, Virgin (mostly), Atlas, and who knows who else.

I am hoping our next contract will change that and who knows what the future holds, but as of now every Pilot hired after around 1999 at the worlds biggest airline would have been better off going to a lot of other airlines. I would think this would be a concern for all DAL Pilots - realizing that guys would have been better off going to LCC's.

This is why the junior guys fixate on Scope.

Scoop