View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 02:25 PM
iadfo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Corporate Limo Captain
Default CAL reserve vs UA reserve

Someone else on the board shared a CAL contract with me and I spent some time reading the scheduling and reserve section. The following observations are a comparison to UA reserve for UA pilots interested in going there when the offer comes.

-The CAL guys on this forum are absolutely correct when they say their reserve system sucks.

-All reserves are short call (Three hours to push instead of 4) except the top 25% unless they want it. (LC= 9hr to push instead of 13@ UA) All reserves are LC at UA until converted.(max 7 per month and you are bypassed after 5)

-Assignments are made in inverse seniority order (with many caveats) vs strict FIFO @ UA

-4 movable RDOs a month VS 0 @ UA

-You are bypassed for an assignment if you have less than 4.5 hours remaining to guarantee for someone who has flown less.

-Long call reserves are only released from phone availability for the 9 hours prior to their show time vs released when assigned for UA.

-Unlimited SC conversions for CAL long call reserves, VS 7 for UA. (you do get 1 hr of pay for each conversion beyond two at cal)

- SC reserves can be given phone availability window prior to scheduled show time.

CAL guys please correct me if I got any of this wrong, I'm just trying to highlight some of the major differences in UA reserve to help them make an informed decision. I'm not saying UA reserve is wonderful, it just sucks less.