Thread: Abx & Ana
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Two-percent
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006

Originally Posted by ABXGO View Post
NOT FLAMIN Y'ALL HERE, BUT HOW DID DHL "F&%&" AND "RUIN" EVERYTHING FOR AIRBORNE? WEREN'T YOU FURLOUGHING PILOTS WELL BEFORE DHL CAME INTO THE PICTURE. THOUGH THINGS ARE NOT AT ALL PRETTY, I KINDA OF THINK THEY SAVED Y'ALL FROM A WORSER FATE, LIKE SHUTTING DOWN ALL TOGETHER. MY LIMITED EXPERIENCE IN THE AIRLINE INDUSTRY DOESN'T SHOW AIRLINES THAT ARE DOING "WELL" FURLOUGHING PILOTS.
QUOTE]

Ask any ABX pilot who was here seven + years ago (ie. all ABX pilots)
The stories of station managers who complained of excessive freight vs. lift. They constantly coaxed Wilmington (or Seattle) into providing more lift, which, mgmt consistently withheld. The day that DHL deal was announced we all immediately knew why that lift was so scarce. Donaway et al had sold us down the river and had been crafting the deal years prior to that date. The sad part was that Airborne Express lost thousands of employees (not just pilots) and many important dedicated personnel. My point is that most of that stagnation and subsequent regression was self-sabotage while the top was looking for parachutes. I'm sure Donaway is struggling on Mercer Island. Regarding "saved Y'all from a worser fate", I'm quite sure even ABX would have a hard time squandering 6% (13% down to 7%) of the market. DHL's problem is that they don't listen to anyone. Hete's explained to them several times how to save $150 M. Normally I'm not a big management partisan but even I can see the inadequacies behind DHL's so-called strategy.

Last edited by Two-percent; 01-21-2007 at 03:28 PM.