Thread: Good read
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 03:42 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Duksrule View Post
We have ORMed ourselves out of the game. You would never be able to do some of the things we did 20 years ago in today's military.

I was lucky during my Department Head tour to have something everyone in the military should have. I had a CO that was an 0-6 and knew that was his last tour before retiring. He wasn't trying to make 0-7 or go to a sweet job at the Puzzle Palace. He had no problem going back to the wing and telling them what we would and wouldn't do. I was an 0-4 and got into a bit of a spat with an 0-6 from CNAL. I was completely in the right and the Capt thought I should have bowed down to his bird. When he called my CO to "tell on me" my Capt told him he was lucky I cursed him out on the phone because it would have been worse in person. Just the cool guy my boss was. He would go to the mat for you right or wrong, because he was loyal to his people. He was a one in a million unfortunatly sinse most COs are only worried about their next job and not their people.

The military has gone to hell in a hand basket and will continue down hill. I am waiting till they have CPO initiation on NKO rather that in the mess. Look how bad it has been watered down. Now you can't even have on drink at any Selectee function. Glad I retired!
I hope he would at least chew you a new one if you were actually in the wrong still.
Going to bat for you whether you were right or wrong is not so great.
Sort of like the parent who's child can do no wrong in school.
I've had the CO who would tell the other that he will handle the issue, but you still spent time standing on the yellow footprints.

USMCFLYR