Old 10-04-2011, 08:19 AM
bojonpilot
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2010
Position: Beech T-1A (BE-400) Instructor Pilot
Default Military Heavy Pilot to Airline Pilot Advice

Hello all!

I am currently a pilot training instructor pilot in the T-1 and my previous assignment was a aircraft commander in the C-5 Galaxy. I have had two dreams in life--to fly the C-5 and to become an airline pilot (preferably a DC-10 Captain for UAL--but I guess I am twenty years too late!).

To shoot straight, I have had enough with the Active-Duty Air Force--I don't want to get into all the particulars here, nor would all of you want to hear, but the lowdown is that the job you do as a pilot does not matter. What does matter is how much "brown nosing" and "volunteer opportunites" you do, or if you have your masters degree done, or how well you do in your additional-duty "desk job." I have three air medals for my combat time and 1500+ hours in turbine aircraft (1000 of which is heavy 4 engine turbine). Don't get me wrong, I am very proud to serve and I am proud to wear the uniform (I intend to stay in the Guard/Reserve as long as they will keep me), but I think the USAF has misaligned priorities when it comes to their pilot force.

I need help--I still have about 4 years left before I start the airline application process and I want to ensure that I can be set up in the very best position that I can be for that.

If some of you do not already know this, the Air Force pretty much forces individuals into upward mobility regardless if they just want to be the absolute best aviator they can be (me). My question is do airline hiring boards really care if I have my masters or SOS done? If I am a passed over twice Captain and did not make Major before I get out, does that matter?

This next part is not meant to brag by any means, I just need some answers from the experts. I was the top graduate out of my pilot training class, and I was a Distinguished Graduate from pilot training, C-5 Pilot Initial Qualification course, and T-1 Pilot Instructor Training. In addition I have multiple Q-1 "Excellent" checkrides, most notable was my C-5 Aircraft Commander checkride in which I received a Q1 "Excellent" with a "Commendable" in Aircraft Commander responsibilites/knowledge. With what was said above, does this have more weight on airline boards than SOS, masters, or if I made Major?

Thank you all in advance for all of your help and advice, I sure appreciate the help! --Bojonpilot