Thread: overseas work

Lifeisgood , 10-05-2011 11:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off
Lifeisgood
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Sep 2006
Quote: I am thinking about leaving my regional airline and take a job overseas. For anybody who has experience in this, how difficult is it to get back to a mainline carrier after being out of the US for say 3 years...
It has not been a common practice yet - when expats return for jobs at majors in the US, but I think your marketability will depend on your personal case. Once such "backflow" becomes visible the recruiters will form opinions.

As far as the type of aircraft the recruiters don't really care what you fly. They know you can pass the training program. They care what you are on the inside. Much of the world is targeting pilots ready to fly a certain aircraft and hire into certain positions. Not the case here - real majors will train you and so far they care more about right personalities than the training expences.

In general going overseas is a step backwards - no faa oversight is not a good thing in the recruiter's eye. You might have violations that will be impossible to find, to say nothing about everyday procedures, habits and attitude towards your responsibilities in general.
Also, the nature of working the contract.. It is very opposite of the company loyalty and "becoming one happy family with compatible people" they learned about in their HR degrees. They might feel that you have been contaminated with bad attitude.

I'd say go, get out of your stagnant regional, have fun, see the world (most of it is crappy, dirty and corrupt), learn to appreciate the freedoms and liberties we enjoy in the US, then make sure you go to career fairs, meet US recruiters from the majors and prove to them that you are their material.
PS. Make sure you stay healthy working there.