Thread: Spirit of NKS
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Sniper
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Default Forget 'Schedule with Safety', just pay me

Originally Posted by dn_wisconsin View Post
We receive 100% deadhead so in theory we could credit 11 hours for about 7 hours at the controls. I think that's a long shot, imagine how senior that would go.

3. Our deadhead seating states window or aisle if possible and we can move to a BFS if available in flight.
'If possible'? So, a no-recline middle seat in coach is contractually just fine. Naturally, this kind of stuff would go senior too.

Originally Posted by RonnyK320 View Post
At U3K we IRO'd everywhere. It's actually not bad, it's nice to get 11 hours of pay for one day of work, it really maximizes your days off. We had no big front seats either. I'd be okay with that.
You're ok with that?

You do know that most every other airline (except CO) sits an IRO in a 60" pitch business class seat with a curtain, or a real bunk. CO 'slums it' with an entire row of coach and a curtain. There's a reason for the curtain - no passenger talking your ear off, no reading lamp in your eyes, the curtain cuts down on the noise.

Sitting in a 28" pitch 'seat' (pleather stretched between two pieces of metal, no cushion on Spirit A320's) with no recline next to a passenger who chats away for 5 hours with their light on is not 'preparation' for flying a 5 hour red-eye. USA 3000 (UK3) has 30" pitch seats, and I bet they recline too. NOBODY has a 28" pitch seat! Even Ryanair has 30" pitch.

How can you possibly accept a trip like this, given the potential for fatigue?