View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 02:47 AM
JetJocF14
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: B-777 Captain

As an X-Naval Avitor who flew Tomcats, was adversary pilot, and instructed in A-4s, I too have always had a problem with the psudochromatic plates. In fact when I joined the service the Navy did NOT consider the plates to be a valid test. They used the Farnsorth latern setup. This is basically a device that emits two sets of colorored light. You stand back about 10 feet away and the techy pushes the button on top of the device. You then read out the colors you see. Red/white, Green/ Green, Green/Red, etc, etc.

When I was initially applying to the airlines and did the A/A medical, nurse ratchet told me I was color blind. I told her that I had over 400 carrier landings and that the Navy really dosen't allow color blind people to do that. Especially at night. She nearly bit my head off. So I had to get a letter from my flight sergeon.

25 years with the airlines of which the last 22 have been with a night cargo outfit and no problems. However several years ago Fedex had an accident in Tallahassee in which one of the factors in that accident was that the co-pilot was somewhat colorblind. My understanding is that this is one reason why the FAA uses the plates and might not accept the results from the Farnsworth latern. I don't really know.

Another thing you can do is to Google colorblind charts. What I find is that I can read all the numbers, its just that sometimes it takes my brain a little longer to connects the dots to make a number.

Finally, here is what I would do. Go to an eye doc and get tested. You either are or not colorblind. This is not one of those things that your not at 26 but are after age 50. Then ask your flight doc which test they use. Again I don't know if there allowed to use the latern setup. Good Luck.

Last edited by JetJocF14; 10-08-2011 at 09:45 AM.