Thread: Air Ambulance
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 09:08 PM
flipper66
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2011

South Florida has quite a few Air Ambulance operators. Flying is challenging, and tiring (I've worked here for >5 years... and about 1/3 to 1/2 of my flying is middle of the night). The tough part is it's 24/7 on call. The better operators are actually give you scheduled days off known the month before... some of the less reputible operators consider days off as days you don't fly. From Fort Lauderdale, you get to see a lot of the Caribbean and Central America, and a little South America, with a lot of returns to the South Florida, Northeast and Eastern Canada (though you never know I've done drops in California, and Pickups in Anchorage... been South deep into Brazil, and well North and West into Canada). Requirements for hiring vary by operator... and even within the operator depending on needs. I've seen guys hired with as low as 500 hours, and and over 1200 for an FO. I've seen guys hired with almost no multi time, to lots. The best thing you can do to find a job - if you're local - is to stop in periodically and drop off a resume. It may not lead to a job right now, but we've hired a few people because they have come back over time. To name a few operators in South Florida: National Jets (they also do passenger charter and have maybe 6?? airplanes based at FLL), Air Ambulance Professionals (based at FXE, 2 planes), Aero Jet International (based at FXE, 3 planes), Trinity Air Ambulance (based at FXE).

Good luck! If you want more info, PM me.