Thread: SWA or UPS
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 12:37 PM
YAKflyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: 30 West

Originally Posted by SNAFU View Post
Problem is he doesn't have a bird in hand yet. This is a tough decision, and illustrates why UPS's pool situation is so shiatty. If they pulled you out in order, I would definitely wait for the class date and save the 6000 for the type rating. Since they don't pull you out in order, you could languish for years and still never get pulled out.

Now if you are really happy and secure with what you are doing now and can wait, it would make sense to save the money and wait for UPS to call. Chances are you will only wait a few months. Meanwhile you just tell SW that you are going to get your type (you have 6 months) and hope UPS calls.

IF UPS hasn't called in 5 months, get the type and go to class at SW as soon as you can. IF that happens, and then UPS calls with a class date, you will then have a real decision to make.

Given the fact that you could sit in the brown pool indefinitely I would go get the type (if I could afford it) and get in the first class available at SW.

That is about the best you can do, and hopefully you will get to make the decision sooner than later.
The point here is to take the first job offered by either. He sounds like he is going to get an offer from SWA. Likely he will make enough $$$ flying for SWA (compaired to what he might make flying for a regional) while he waits for UPS to more than make up for what he spends on the type rating. The fact that the rating is tax deductable make it even cheaper. If SWA would hire him and he could fly for them for a while before UPS calls could be a great opportunity to see what it would be like to stay there. Might give him the chance to make a more informed decision when UPS calls........