View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Bucking Bar
Can't abide NAI

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Douglas Aerospace post production Flight Test & Work Around Engineering bulletin dissembler

Originally Posted by acl65pilot View Post
LCC may just want to get this deal done to get on with the next deal they have been sitting on since this thing was announced in 2009. It really has slowed/stopped the M and A's that involve DAL and LCC.

Once this deal is done, I see a few more tie ups.
AB76ERPilot,

Your post is right on the mark with regard to M&A activity being quashed by the uncertainty over the LCC swap. I don't think American works in whole, but Delta would certainly play for the Latin America traffic (heck, we might even compete for that). What will drive M&A for American will probably be heavily influenced by OneWorld's network players.

As for Delta ... it is hard to say what we're looking at, but clearly we are not being managed for the status quo. Too much is getting cut, too much is getting aligned. There sure are some convenient route transfers to Alaska. Hawaiian can be had for less than the cost of a single 777. I could see a Hawaiian play as Asia recovers (China's still scorching hot and the very factors that call for a China slow down will enable their middle class to travel).

I've given up calling for LCC's demise. They are too heavily subsidized by their employees working for nearly free to be criticized, I mean, analyzed, using metrics employed elsewhere.

Just an opinion. ... but I'm not looking forward to my next displacement in the name of keeping labor peace.