View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 01:57 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Rickair - thanks for the info... I've also wondered about this as I try to decide what to do when I grown up. I notice you used the word 'require'.... do the airlnes expect you to schedule some of your reserve time during time off? In other words, would it be poo-pooed to schedule, say 6 days of reserve duty after a 4-day break (or something to that effect). I just wonder if flying for airlines and the guard is more like having two part-time jobs or two full-time jobs.
More like two part time jobs. In the current climate (ie war) large companies are very reluctant to give reservists a hard time...it's not worth the bad press.

If they really though you were gaming the system (and your CP cared, which he might not) all they can do is complain to your CO. But there is no recourse beyond that, and your CO probably prefers to keep you happy...

But don't go over-the-top, like super-junior pilots scheduling mil leave over every major holiday (unless are deployed of course). Everybody knows you'll probably be on stand-down or half days.