View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 01:54 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by widebodyjunkie View Post
I guess commutting wouldnt b too bad if you lived in a city that has a hub and flies direct to your domicile. Do airlines base a certain percentage of pilots on reserve?
10-15% but that can be 0-30% depending on staffing and seasonal variations.

And I would assume that if your on reserve and have to commute, you flip the bill for your own hotel or crash pad? Hotels prolly give you a decent rate as a pilot but still it sucks to have to pay out of pocket.
Yes.

For crash pads, I'd assume that's a pilot that has a home there and rents it out to other pilots to stay? That'd b a better option than hotel except for you having to pay for transportation to the Airport.
Usually it's owned by a flight crew. If you only spend 2-3 nights a month in domicile then hotel is probably cheaper. Much beyond that the crashpad looks better. Many crash pads are on bus/train lines, others you need a car.

Usually reserves will need a crashpad, along with junior lineholders who cannot hold commutable trips on either end.

Lineholders who can commute same-day on one or bothe ends of the trip are better off with a hotel.

For per diems, do they start the time you go on duty until your trip or reserve week is over? Or does it stop once your off duty for the day?
Usually runs the entire duration of your trip, unless you duty-off back in your domicile (irregular ops or split trip).