Thread: DALPA on notice
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Columbia
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2010

Originally Posted by gloopy View Post
That aspect of code sharing I absolutely understand and have no problem with as long as our interests are protected. I have no problem code sharing with China Eastern when they do intra-China flying to markets we would never, ever fly to ourselves, and link up to bidirectional feed making both our airline's planes more full. What I am concerned with China Eastern is how will we divvy up the US-China seat/weight kilometers, etc. tat are part of the code share in question? What if they want half? More? What about the other current and future code share partners in that region? Do we split our flying with everyone? You can only half your half so many times. Do brand new start ups all around the globe deserve to split flying to and from the US with DL just so that we can code with them inside their own countries? I don't think so.

I worry it could become an AK on steroids where they do their flying and then we see them being given our flying all the while being told how its good for us. AK was supposed to be a reasonable code share where each fed the other pax with flying the other couldn't do. Instead its devolved into a large 737 DCI that has directly caused mainline DL stagnation and shrinkage at the narrowbody level. Some AK routes we should code share on, but some we need to roll back big time and do the flying ourselves. The LAX-SEA, BOS-SEA and other shutouts are just indefensible. As we work to fix that issue of management code share abuse, we need to make sure the new foreign ones don't turn into wide body DCI doing flying we could and should be doing...or worse...flying we used to do but gave to them.
Yep-it will be the mgmt way to cut costs-find outsourcers willing to do what you do for cheaper.