Old 11-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Jones14
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Default Keeping Relationship With Current Employer?

I'm currently working for a regional airline in St. Louis, MO as a flight line mechanic. On my days off I'm working towards the commercial/multi ticket, and getting rather close to finishing. The flight school has expressed interest in hiring me as a CFI, so that is also on my training list.

My question is when I am all done with training and ready to do some CFI work, should I leave my current position and focus solely on flying, or keep that relationship and hope it gets me in the right seat a little quicker? What would a hiring board appreciate more? Hiring a current employee, or hiring a former employee that left to prepare for said position?

On an unrelated note, I've been wondering how most corporate guys begin their career? When I browse the job boards most of the corporate gigs are for captains with type, and 5000+. When you see the rare FO position available they are still way out of reach for a low time pilot like myself. Where do these guys start? It seems like the stepping stone for flying jets is the regional airlines. But where are you ever supposed to get a type rating, or build time in these planes if you are never eligible to fly that first job? Is there any way around the regionals when starting your career on corporate side? I know very little about Flight Safety, but I see it as a flight school where you can buy your type and a few hours in a sim? Don't even want to know the cost of that, especially after paying for CPL/ME/CFI all out of pocket.