View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 04:16 PM
BeardedFlyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Default Leaky Brain Syndrome

There is just SO much information out there that a good CFI/CFII needs to know. I have gone through every line of the AFH, the PHAK, part 91, 61, study guide after study guide; right now I'm steadily making my way through the AIM but it can feel overwhelming. I can read something, learn it, and understand it, but how do you get to the point of referencing random technical sections from memory???

For instance, I recall a certain day back when I was working on my instrument rating when my CFII was able to recall the exact formula for calculating the radius of a turn from the PHAK (Radius = velocity squared divided by 11.26 times the tangent of the bank angle)!

I just don't see how you keep it all in. It's like I'm trying to fill up a water jug but the jug has a leak in the bottom, so how am I ever going to fill it and keep it full?! Then on top of all this the FAA is constantly updating! How do you maintain all these facts, details, regulations, techniques, common errors, etc in your head!?