Thread: Airnow...
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 07:14 AM
GauleyPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: BE-20, RA390

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
It doesn't sound like anyone is kidding themselves about the possibility of some accident; But I think any reasonable person can see a pattern developing at this company that doesn't look very good.

And I must say about the link...I've read that before, and they don't seem to be talking about part 135/cargo/airline operations. But I could be wrong.

"...Many of these were in the general aviation category, small aircraft manned by bush pilots, air-taxi pilots, and crop-dusters. Their equipment can be old and the maintenance less stringent than among the big airlines, adding to the danger."
Air Taxi is Part 135. They are not talking about FAR 121 (hence the big airlines note), which has a much better safety record than FAR 135 operations. Think about the wide scope of FAR 135. Passenger and cargo operations, day and night, mostly single pilot, operating from less equipped airports with non-precision approaches in all kinds of weather. All this while flying aircraft that are often underperforming part 23 machines. When you consider the "bush" flying in Alaska, (135 pax and cargo) that is the ultimate in risk.

I agree that you can see patterns that indicate problems.
However, when a professional pilot friend tells you "see you later" and dies shortly thereafter in a plane you just flew, you will see where I am coming from. Perhaps this has happend to you already. Here is another link.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/sh...deadly+express

Last edited by GauleyPilot; 01-26-2007 at 07:59 AM.