View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 02:20 PM
kylejacobsen
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2010
Default American Eagle application

Hey Everyone,

I recently submitted my online application to American Eagle, because I am nearing their minimums (480TT, 165 ME, 20 Turbine, 60 Dual Given). I did have a few questions regarding my driving/criminal record. When I was 17, I failed an OWI test. However, since I was a minor, I received probation, which I completed early. The criminal charges were dropped, but my license was revoked for 6 months. On my driving record, this obviously shows up. Then, when I was a Freshman in college (age 19), I got pulled over for an Underage Drink and Drive. The charge was dropped, and reduced to Careless Driving. The underage does not show up on my traffic record, but I am guessing it will on my criminal record when they check the details of the case. I listed both of these events, with explanations, in my application. I have learned a great deal from both of these events, and I have used them as a way to mature into a responsible adult.

I have tried to get involved in as many leadership positions that I can, including a mentoring program through our school, to help educate the younger students on the problems that dumb decisions can cause. I am also a CFI at the flight school. The problem is, I am only 21 and I know time is my best asset to prove that I have made the changes that are required to be a professional pilot. My question is; how do I, or will I, get an interview with priors like those on my application? I've heard that one alcohol offense isn't necessarily a death sentence, but two or more starts to show a pattern. I am, by no means, an alcoholic, and I have never had prior problems with alcohol/drugs. I just made some really terrible choices that will now follow me forever, and I regret them every day. Like I said, I've used my prior mistakes to learn and grow into a better person. I just hope my decisions as a teenager don't drown the career path that has been my dream.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks