View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 02:52 PM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Plots love their work

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
Sky, your story is not very accurate after about stage 7. There are many outcomes to the pilot aspiration, and regret is only one of them. Many if not most of the pilots who love their work are not here plugging in the "Leaving the Career" column. It would be more accurate if your story dropped real statistics into the mix. What percentage of the pros leave the career before age 65? What percentage spends what percentage of the career laid off? I think you have a pretty good stor but it needs more facts. It does not ring true as it stands because each of us knows a pilot or two who loves his work.
It is true that there are plenty of pilots who love their work and that is great for them. There are also people who have become conditioned to prison life and are happy there too.

My aim is to connect with those who hold desires of a different life other than what flying the line can currently offer. In my case I thought that aviation would lead to a better life with more income and control over my days than what aviation currently offers for most.

I believe that pilot compensation and conditions have changed to the point of being nearly inhuman on the lower rungs. The career demands too much and offers too little in return to the average family man/woman pilot. Future trends I believe will be a continuation of decline in all that what was once good about the profession.

Some are going to press ahead anyway and that is great. Someone has to do it after all. However not everyone is good with putting their life through the meat grinder. They have families to support, hobbies and other outside interest that add to the quality of their lives. People need to know. They need the full and ugly truth put before them and if they still choose to press on then good for them.

I know plenty of pilots who are not positive about the career. Sully Sullenberger and Barry Schiff jump to mind. Sully even went before congress with his dissatisfaction regarding the career. Didn't you choose away from an airline career?

SKyhigh

Last edited by SkyHigh; 11-09-2011 at 03:04 PM.