View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 04:22 PM
HSLD
APC co-founder

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: B777

Originally Posted by SS2907 View Post
My real question is, for someone with ambition and a desire for a flying career for me, what would be a good (acceptable to the flying world) start?

First, welcome to APC. Most of the topics you'll find are relevant to working pilots, however, over the past few years we've seen many more career seekers posting here. There are over a million posts on APC (literally) and I'd guess there are tens of thousands asking the same question that you are.

My best advice is read. Learn to use the search box in the upper left corner, and read. We've watched guys in your position go from testing the water to working for an airline - it's all here, post by post.

In short. The traditional path is earn your ratings, get your CFI and teach until you have enough time to apply to the airlines. Times are changing though and the job (notice I didn't say career) isn't what it used to be. Pay and working conditions are near the poverty level to start and the debt incurred to become qualified is on average 3-7 times first year salary. In other words, you can potentially be in debt for a long time. Seeing how the industry has changed, I would do everything I could to steer my kids towards a different career. I'd suggest learning to fly and add some ratings , that part is fun! Trying to make it in the industry is a long difficult career that can cost you dearly.

For further reading:

building time - Google Search

Leaving the Career - Airline Pilot Central Forums