View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 05:17 AM
BDGERJMN
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: Walmart Greeter

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
I think it's a reasonable assertion that without a significant unique capability (ie maritime expeditionary) the corps days might be numbered, at least as we know it.

I don't think a VSTOL fighter is a make-or-break feature of a MEU, but it does have some utility. Also it looks cool as hell in action, so I do suspect there is some pride/ego action going on too.

Things are not looking good for the F-35B, so if you think the image (and possibly future) of the corps is enhanced by a VSTOL, extra AV8-Bs probably make sense. If you wait for the F-35b to canx, that money is going to be GONE.
I'm not saying the MEU isn't enhanced by VSTOL at all, in fact I agree that the MEU and how it operates in total is reliant upon the capability. The utility of that total capability might be in question.

The original article in this post cited aging D's as one of the reasons this decision was made. I don't think you'll find a single anchor(or double anchor dude for that matter) USMC TACAIR aircrew that will tell you a refurbished UK Harrier is going to do what a full up D(or F) can do and has been doing in today's battlespace. That said the Harriers have done good work recently in Libya and other not so desirable places but it's not something that a UDP squadron couldn't have done in my best guess.