View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 12:50 PM
MeXC
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by finedavefine View Post
Yes, and therein lies the paradox. We've (airline pilots) been pushing for better work rules, especially those concerning duty time and rest between flights, since the first jet aircraft were delivered to Pan Am, TWA, Eastern, etc, etc, and now that we're on the verge of something positive actually happening, there are those in this profession, who still don't see "el picture grande." No doubt, the changes could very likely effect our quality of life somewhat, but the tradeoff would hopefully be that we'd operate, day in and day out, in a much safer mode, because we've been allowed to get adequate rest. Personally I feel it's a good tradeoff. At least for now.
I'm not sure how any of this would actually affect commuting, but I will comment on the most repeated, "we'll have to be in domicile 24 hours in advance of a trip". Personally, I will be no better rested if I'm in a crashpad for 24 hours than had I stayed home and used my big-boy common sense and arrived for my trip prepared to fly safely.
We're "allowed" to get adequate rest right now, at least as it pertains to commuting. Whether you choose to do so or not is your personal and professional responsibility.
I would consider that tradeoff a lose-lose.