View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

I don't think the cosmetology comparison sticks Sky, because they do not distinguish between left seat and right seat in that business. Nobody gets to left seat of a 121 airline without a bare minimum of 1,500 flight time for an ATP, which equates probably to something like twice that in total time on the job. So, realistically about 3,000 hours to meets mins for left seat, and actual movement is highly dependent on other conditions which tend to slow it down most of the time. I don't have the data handy, but my guess is the actual hours from day one student pilot to left seat captain of an airliner in the US, is probably in the neighborhood of 5 years minimum. 200 hours to be an FO seat is just a bare minimum, real times to right seat are often well over a thousand hours which again, translates to quite a bit more time on the job. Everyone knows you get all the ratings then teach for a couple of years. If a work year is 2,000 work hours, it's more like 6,000 hours.

I used to work at a company that attempted at one point to use commercial pilots with 500 hours of flight time, to fly Cessna 206 Stationairs in predominantly VFR weather. After three or four of them washed out of the training module, they raised hiring mins to CFI, CFII, and 850 flight hours. This, just to fly an overweight Skyhawk. Real minimums were far higher than legal minimums.