Thread: FDX LAX Base
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Rock
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007

I can give you a little perspective from someone who just recently shifted to LAX from ANC. I commuted to ANC from Denver for just over a year. I'll sum that up by saying the commute was a nightmare and is getting worse as the base grows and UPS adds pilots. Very few ANC deadhead trips meant I often had to pay for my own ticket, because jumpseating through Seattle or Portland is very unreliable. I'd lose a day getting up there because most trips leave in the morning, and then a day and a half coming home, because FDX trips arrive in the morning, and most commercial flights leave very late at night. More and more of the ANC lines are 3 and 4 departure lines, so you do the math and your extra time away from home adds up very quickly. So does the money spent on airfare and lodging at ANC. On a month with training, I'd spend up to $1000 on commuting expenses.

Flash forward to LAX. I've been there since November and have spent one night in LA. Almost every trip has at least a front or backend deadhead, and deviating from Denver to the West Coast is a piece of cake. There isn't as much international flying, but the ANC-INC-PVG-ANC cycle gets old in a hurry when you do it more than once a month. I like the mix of international and domestic and seem to get some of each every month. The biggest drawback at LAX is its high seniority. I could bid 40% in ANC and barely bid better than 90% in LAX. But I couldn't be happier with my move, and that says a lot. My FedEx life has improved 100% since moving there. More time at home, less money spent commuting, and the same "just happy not to live in Memphis" culture.