View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 06:06 AM
whitt767
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: 7ERB

Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
His point (assumption) is Delta will not survive. His humble opinion.

I take it that your humble opinion is they will. Short term you are right. But you see Ford getting gutted 20 years after Toyota started to take market share away. 10 years after Ford and GM started their great "recovery" after the last downturn in their industry. Ford's decline accelerated the last 2 years.

I don't think the Auto industry the Airline industry are good comparisons. The US airline industry is competing against other US competitors. The US auto industry is competing against foriegn-govt. supported manufacturers. Very big difference. As far as retirement and benifits, many of the big US airlines have cancelled the expensive, defined benifit retirement programs. The auto industry is struggling under that now.

Some think, after Delta gets out BK, they will eventually have an "accelerated" decline. IMHO It's not a matter of if, but when.

Your opinion...noted.

You ask for evidence. There is none. Just assumptions and projections. Things could change. Management and labor might be able to turn it around.

The ball is in management's court. Labor at DAL has done its part. Management is the key.

But I think it may take another BK after this one. Remember USAir's second BK?? CAL went from boom to bust now boom again. But they have some issues threatening them too. Are costs at DAL low enough to work in an enviroment with CAL and UAL?

Yes...I think. According to their POR, we'll be able to compete effectively with anyone.

If not, how are they going to get there. You'll see AA's struggles too.

Consolidation is the key. If DAL can spurn USA, then I expect them to merge with someone. Again...Delta survives.