View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 08:35 AM
OscartheGrouch
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: B737/Capt

Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
What is most annoying about the whole thing is that these slots are not airline assets.

Delta, US Airways, or whomever got them for free! When these airports weren't slot controlled, whoever wanted to fly there flew there. Then, on day, the US government decided that they had to limit flights, and apportioned these 'slots' out to the airlines in roughly the same proportion as these airlines flew to LGA and/or DCA. So, if you flew to LGA a lot, you got a lot of slots. If someone else wants to fly to LGA now, they have to get you to give them the right to fly to LGA, an airport that is publicly owned!

Guess why LGA and DCA need to be slot controlled - Delta and US Airways (and American and United to a lesser degree) run all those frakin' small planes in and out of LGA and DCA. Those EMB-170's and CRJ's a waste of good airspace that could be used by a 757 or A321 (LGA used to have L-1011's, those were the days).

Where else in the world can you cause a problem at a publicly owned facility, then get rewarded financially for causing it?

I'll get off my soapbox now.
Sniper,

This has always been my argument with regards to slot controlled airports. Except for American every airline who has large numbers of these slots has been through bankruptcy but wasn't required to divest of these "assets" to satisfy creditors. The ability to shed debt (including pensions) and hold on to assets makes no sense to me. Airline management types are sneaky fellows.

If the prices that were paid for these slots after running a cost/benefit analysis were too expensive then I am not surprised that SWA bailed out. Time will tell if these slots will turn a profit for Jblu and Westjet. I would be curious to see how long their analysis takes to break even.

I have always said if something is up for bid, go ahead and participate so as to make it painful for the winner. In this case I would argue that SWA's participation provided USair and DAL a higher price than would have been paid otherwise. You are welcome Tsquare.

Happy Thanksgiving also.

The Oscar