Thread: Aviation degree
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 09:18 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by juxtapilot View Post
I just have a few concerns about majoring in Commercial Aviation. 1) Would this major have any negative effects on finding a good airline job in the future? 2) If you are a UND grad, is the program worth the money? And is it fun?

Thanks for any input you might have on this! I appreciate it so much!

-Jake

1) An aviation degree would not harm your chances of getting a major job. However, I would recomend a non-aviation degree (or aero-engineering) if the cost is the same...

-The aviation degrees are known in the industry as being nothing special, and graduates are a dime-a-dozen. A more interesting or challenging degree would make you more intriguing to an airline interviewer (remember, he's trying to decide if he could stand to fly with you for a month, and he probably wants to talk about something other than airplanes).

- If you ever need to fall back on it, a real degree can come in handy. It is safe to say that you will get furloughed/unemployed at some point in your pilot career, and you can also expect to spend anywhere to from 6 months to forever grounded for medical reasons.