Thread: Aviation degree
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 10:27 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by NE_Pilot View Post
So major in anything, anything at all, as long as it is something you will enjoy. No point in not enjoying college, and no point in majoring in something only because you think it will be a back up when it won't be.
Wrong on this...even though I didn't plan it that way, I have made more money with my "fall-back" degree than flying airplanes. Opportunities are endless, and real flying experience can help land a non-flying job in any aviation-related industry.

Absolutely you should enjoy college... drink, chase boys/girls, etc. But when talking majors, "enjoyable" usually translates to "easy"...well there's a whole bunch of OTHER people who took the easy route, but a more challenging, practical degree CAN be utilized later and it says something about you as well.

OK, I'll ask the brutal question...if you want to get an aviation degree because you really like airplanes and want to study them, why not do some sort of aero-engineering? It will look a LOT better on your resume. Because it's too hard? Is that what you want your resume to say "I took the easy road"?