View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 06:01 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by zach141 View Post
Hey USMC, I'm looking for abundant clarity on this.

*Military retirees at the rank of major, lieutenant commander, or higher are not eligible for preference in appointment unless they are disabled veterans.*

I'm a retired O-4, USAF. I have a low percentage of rated disability. (It's greater than zero; I'd have to check my VA physical exam junk.)

I have tossed around the FAA work idea for a while, assuming I'd get the vet's preference. Would I get the five points on a federal job app, or not?

Thanks,
zach
My understanding is that you would never get 5 points if you are an O-4 or above retiree.
You are either not eligible (per the above statement), or you are disabled and eligible for the 10 points preference. As far as how much rated disability you received from the VA, in my short time dealing with this and listening to my peers whom have retired, I have not heard of less than 10% compensated disability.

You should also Google the SF-15 and take a look at the form and see which blocks you could check on it and if you have questions, contact your nearest VA Administration office and have a meeting with them to make sure that you understand exactly what you rate and don't rate.

If the current plan goes through, this next year is the time to get on with the Federal government since the reduction in federal workforce through attrition is the current flavor of the month.

USMCFLYR