View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 07:43 AM
BoilerUP
The NeverEnding Story

Joined APC: Sep 2005

I love my job.

I work for a very small company that has a GREAT founder/president who advocates for our aircraft and their positive contribution to the bottom line. I don't work holidays and typically only 10-14 total weekend days per year. My wife & son are invited along any time there are seats open. I fly fairly new equipment that is impeccably maintained. I stay in hotels of my choosing, eat whatever I want to eat, and don't get expenses micromanaged. I get the option to airline home for long trips (doing so tomorrow in fact), and about half the time we're told to repo the jet home despite it costing a LOT more than airline tickets. I typically have <24hr notice for a trip maybe once a year, and have only gotten one "We've got to be airborne 10 minutes ago" call in the 4 years I've been here and that was because the boss's daughter was rushed into the ER on the other side of the country with an aneurism (she thankfully is okay).

But I know more folks that are flying the HMFIC to vacation homes seemingly every weekend and holiday, with what I would consider a miserable quality of life, than pilots with a schedule similar to mine.

All that said, there are lots of unemployed/underemployed corporate & charter pilots out there right now. Many folks who are flexible with there they move and have desirable type ratings or, more importantly, a strong network, have been able to find work but some have not.

Even the most entry-level of corporate jobs typically want 2500hrs and an ATP as bare minimums. Some companies and charter operators will hire with less, but that's the exception not the norm. With 100 hours, the OP will have a LONG way to go.

Keep building time, and start developing your network...but to make such a jump at this point you'll likely need to bite the bullet and do something that might be 'less desirable' like fly for a regional, tow banners, fly freight, etc.

Good luck!