View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 02:16 PM
givememywings
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: A320

Hi Steve,

There's just no way to get what you are aspiring for unless you pay your dues like the rest of us. I'm not trying to sound like an a-hole by any means but the fact is you will need at least a couple thousand hrs to come close to landing a 70k gig. And the best way to build that time is to become a CFI at a busy flight school and then go to a regional/charter outfit ASAP. Yes, the pay sucks at both jobs but you have no other options to gain flight experience. Florida is a great start for the CFI route (I personally flew my butt off at Ormond Beach Aviation). Apply to regionals as soon as you meet the mins and find one that has the quickest upgrade times. Also, I will agree with what everyone has already said, but I want to expand on the networking idea....you need to call these companies at your airports tomorrow! Get ahold of the CP's and ask to visit the hangars. Try to meet as many of their pilots as possible. You have to sell yourself. That is really the ONLY thing that matters in this game. It will make a great impression if you meet a CP and show a sincere desire to work there someday. Stay in touch and send resumes frequently, even while you are building time. Again, your eagerness, sincerity, and ability to fit in with the Flight Department's lifestyle are the true deciding factors here. Become friends with these companies.

The only real question is, how bad do you want this? It is attainable, for sure, but you have to work for it and you will definitely need a bartending gig along the way for supplemental income

I wish you all the best and hope you get there someday. Good luck!