rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Cortez -

Thanks for your service.
Good luck with the airlines too.
I have one question about the comment bolded above though.
Why would a honorable discharge look good?
It should the standard to have an honorable discharge.
If you meant that military service will look good then I'd agree, but as far as discharges go - I think it would be more the case of anything other than an honorable looking EXTREMELY bad on a resume.

USMCFLYR
Sort of. In the not too distant past the practice for enlisted was to give an honorable to guy a who did really well. But an average performer with maybe a minor blemish or two (typical of a teenager in a new environment) would get a general (under hon conditions). I understand since 9/11 that they have started giving honorables as the default unless you really screwed up..

Many folks who discharged back in the day are not eligible for the new GI Bill, which requires an honorable, but they can submit a form to get their general upgraded to honorable (it should be granted unless there is good reason not to).

The point is, if you run into an older guy with a general under honorable don't assume he's a dirt bag....he's probably not.

For an officer an honorable has always been assumed...anything less is fatal to your future.

Last edited by rickair7777; 12-04-2011 at 04:39 AM.