View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 04:00 PM
kerns bbo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: BE9,10,20

While I dont support their actions and would never encourage someone to do that it can be done safely without loading the aircraft anywhere near its stress limits. Most people do not have much aerobatic experience and do not understand what happens to an airplane in these "unusual" attitudes. The following is not an encouragement in any way nor am I saying that anyone should try it. Many will try it anyways and I will write it to keep them safer.

In the case of a simple aileron roll there are a few key things to keep in mind when trying to reduce loads on the aircraft. The first is speed. You want to start the manuever at a higher speed rather than lower. In an aircraft that rolls as slow as many transport aircraft the nose will drop a significant amount through the roll. Starting the roll at a higher airspeed will reduce this nose down attitude. The next part of the sequence is pulling the nose high before starting the roll. This will help to ensure you dont end the roll in a severe nose down attitude. In my opinion the pilots in this video should have brought the nose even another 10 degrees higher. The third is NEVER turn it into a split S. While performing a roll for the first time many people freeze up when inverted and make the decision to pull through a half loop to get the dirty side down. This is where you will overstress the aircraft. Keep the aileron over and roll to normal flight instead of pulling.

Once agian I am not an expert nor do I suggest you try any of this on your own or in an aircraft not designed to fly aerobatics. I am speaking from my aerobatic experience in aircraft designed for this purpose.