View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 12:34 PM
MAGNUM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: CRJ2 FO

I started my PPL in 03. Im at the regionals now. My first year I made 22k. I've been here 4 years and holding a line making 45k. I have about 3800TT and about 3200 of it is 121 jet. Im still looking for that 70k+. I got hired at the regional with 660hrs but you might not be so lucky with the new 1500hr to get hired rule coming into affect soon. However, there will be a lot of movement in the near future due to retirements so you might be able to get on with a regional fairly quickly if get your rating knocked out fast. Plan on not having money for long time. Also, if you don't like to be away from home then you need to stay where you are and just fly for fun. At my airline you will have 10 days off a month on reserve. Im getting about 12-13 days off a month. Sounds like a lot but you have to take into consideration commuting to and from work and you don't get to come home every night at 5pm and take care of things around the house. So figure you have maybe two days a week to get things done. I can promise you your wife is not going to like it too much. She's ok with it now but your not gone on the road yet while shes at home alone with no one to hang out with. Plus don't bother planning anything on the weekends because your going to be at work. When your off everyone else is working. You won't really understand the lifestyle until you live it. The guys that have spoken here is not the average flying job. They are sitting in the top precent of the aviation career field. Making 100k+ a year is no less than 10 years away and thats if you have some connections. It's not easy. Not trying to be Debbie Downer but this is how it really is from day to day. Don't do this job for the money rather do it because you love to fly.